Oklahoma City University
Administration Suite 438
Oklahoma City, OK 73106-1493
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

Country Specific Info.

The United States State Department produces Consular Information Sheets with health, safety and other country information for every country in the world. They are one good source of information, though you should look at multiple sources of information and take your own personal situation into account when selecting a country to study in.

The latest Consular Information Sheet for Mexico is below. We do not take responsibility for this information or edit it in any way. You can access the State Department travel site directly at: https://travel.state.gov/travel/

November 15, 2018

Embassies and Consulates

List of Consulates / Consular Agencies

(Also available at: https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/)

U.S. Embassy in Mexico City
Paseo de la Reforma 305
Colonia Cuauhtémoc
C.P. 06500, Ciudad de México
Phone: (01-55) 5080-2000
Fax: (01-55) 5080-2005

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-55-8526-2561 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: ACSMexicoCity@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez
Paseo de la Victoria #3650
Fracc. Partido Senecú
Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, México C.P. 32543
Phone: (656) 227-3000

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-656-344-3032 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: CDJSCS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara
Progreso 175
Col. Americana, C.P. 44160
Guadalajara, Jalisco, México
Phone: (01-33) 4624-2102

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-334-624-2102 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: ACSGDL@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Hermosillo
141 Monterey Street
Col. Esqueda, C.P. 83000
Hermosillo, Sonora, México
Phone: (+52) 662-690-3262
Fax: (+52) 662-217-2571

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-662-690-3262 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: HermoACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Matamoros
Calle Primera #2002
Colonia Jardín, C.P. 87330
Matamoros, Tamaulipas, México
Phone: (+52) 868-208-2000
Fax: (+52) 868-816-0883

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-868-206-1076 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: MatamorosACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Merida
Calle 60 No. 338-K x 29 y 31
Col. Alcalá Martin, C.P. 97050
Mérida, Yucatán, México
Phone: (+52) 999-942-5700
Fax: (+52) 999-942-5758

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-999-316-7168 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-661
E-Mail: AskMeridaACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Monterrey
Ave. Alfonso Reyes #150
Col. Valle del Poniente
Santa Catarina, Nuevo León
México 66196
Phone: (+52) 81-8047-3100
Fax: (+52) 81-8342-5433

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-814-160-5512 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: HermoACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Nogales
Calle San José s/n
Fraccionamiento los Álamos
C. P. 84065 Nogales, Sonora
Phone: (+52) 631-311-8150
Fax: (+52) 631-313-4652

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-631-980-0522 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: NogalesACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Nuevo Laredo
Paseo Colon 1901
Colonia Madero, C.P. 88260
Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas
Phone: (+52) 867-233-0557

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-867-233-0557 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: NuevoLaredo-ACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana
Paseo de las Culturas s/n
Mesa de Otay
Delegación Centenario C.P. 22425
Tijuana, Baja California
Phone: (+52) 664-977-2000

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-664-748-0129 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
Email: ACSTijuana@state.gov

Consular Agencies

(Also available at: https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-agencies/)

(An extension of the Embassy in Mexico City)
Hotel Continental Emporio
Costera M. Alemán 121 – Office 14
Acapulco, Guerrero C.P. 39670
Phone: (+52) 744-481-0100
Fax: (+52) 744-484-0300
E-Mail: ConAgencyAcapulco@state.gov

(An extension of the Consulate in Merida)
Blvd. Kukulcan Km 13 ZH
Torre La Europea, Despacho 301
Cancún, Quintana Roo C.P. 77500
Phone: (+52) 999-942-5700
E-Mail: ConAgencyCancun@state.gov

Los Cabos
(An extension of the Consulate in Tijuana)
Las Tiendas de Palmilla L-B221, Km. 27.5 Carretera Transpeninsular
San José del Cabo, Baja California Sur C.P. 23406
Phone: (+52) 624-143-3566
Fax: (+52) 624-143-6750
E-mail: ConAgencyLosCabos@state.gov

(An extension of the Consulate General in Hermosillo)
Address: Playa Gaviotas 202, Local 10. Zona Dorada.
Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México
Phone: (+52) 81-8047-3145
Fax (+52) 669-916-7531
E-mail: ConAgencyMazatlan@state.gov

(An extension of the Embassy in Mexico City)
Macedonio Alcalá No. 407, Office 20
Oaxaca, Oaxaca C.P. 68000
Phone: (+52) 951-514-3054, 516-2853
Fax: (+52) 951-516-2701
E-mail: ConAgencyOaxaca@state.gov

Piedras Negras
(An extension of the Consulate in Nuevo Laredo)
Abasolo #211, Local #3, Centro
Piedras Negras, Coahuila C.P. 26000
Phone: (+52) 867-233-0557
E-mail: NuevoLaredo-ACS@state.gov

Playa del Carmen
(An extension of the Consulate in Merida)
Plaza Progreso, Local 33, Second floor
Carretera Federal Puerto Juarez-Chetumal, Mz. 293 Lt. 1.
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo C.P. 77710
Phone: (+52) 999-942-5700
E-mail: ConAgencyPlayadelC@state.gov

Puerto Vallarta
(An extension of the Consulate General in Guadalajara)
Paseo de los Cocoteros #85 Sur
Paradise Plaza, Local L-7, Segundo Piso
Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit C.P. 63732
Phone: (01-33) 4624-2102
E-mail: ConAgencyPuertoV@state.gov

San Miguel de Allende
(An extension of the Embassy in Mexico City)
Plaza La Luciérnaga, Libramiento Jose Manuel Zavala No. 165, Locales 4 y 5
Colonia La Luciérnaga
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato C.P. 37745
Phone: (+52) 415-152-2357
Fax: (+52) 415-152-1588
E-mail: ConAgencySanMiguel@state.gov

Destination Description

See the State Department’s Fact Sheet on Mexico for more information on U.S.-Mexico relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the Mexican National Institute of Migration’s (Instituto Nacional de Migración, INM) website (Spanish only) or the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, D.C., for the most current entry, exit, and visa requirements.

U.S. citizens should be aware that a valid passport book is required to enter Mexico by air, and that those attempting to enter at an airport with a U.S. passport card only may be denied admission.

If you enter Mexico by land and plan to travel beyond the immediate border area (approximately 20 kilometers into Mexico) you must stop at an INM office at the port of entry to obtain an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM), even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials. You must present a valid passport in order to receive the entry permit. You may be asked to present your passport and valid entry permit at immigration checkpoints on your route of travel. For more information, visit the INM website (Spanish only). If you enter by sea, review the Mexican boating permit requirements prior to travel or contact the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, D.C. for more information.

U.S. citizens should be aware that Mexican law permits Mexican immigration authorities to deny foreigners entry into Mexico if they have been charged with or convicted of a serious crime in Mexico or elsewhere.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents in Mexico.

A parent or legal guardian departing Mexico with minor children should carry a notarized consent letter from the other parent if traveling separately. INM requires at least one parent to complete a SAM (Formato de Salida de Menores) for all minors departing Mexico with a third party. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C., the nearest Mexican consulate, or INM for more information.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international parental child abduction can be found on our website.

Travelers bringing in additional goods beyond their personal effects worth $75.00 U.S. dollars or more must declare those goods with Mexican Customs or risk having them confiscated. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page.

Safety and Security

Travelers are urged to review the Mexico Travel Advisory, which provides updated information about safety and security concerns affecting the country on a state-by-state basis.

U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Mexico should not expect to be protected by public health and safety standards similar to those in the United States. Even where such standards exist, enforcement may vary by location. Instead, travelers should mitigate risk of illness or injury by taking standard health and safety precautions.

The phone number to report emergencies in Mexico is “911”: Although there may be English-speaking operators available, it is best to seek the assistance of a Spanish speaker to place the call.

Crime: Crime in Mexico occurs at a high rate and can be violent. Street crime, ranging from pick-pocketing to armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, sexual assault, and extortion are serious problems in most major cities. Increased levels of cartel-related violence have resulted in turf battles and targeted killings, injuring or killing innocent bystanders. Travelers who find themselves in an active shooter scenario should flee in the opposite direction if possible, or drop to the ground, preferably behind a hard barrier.

While Mexican authorities make great efforts to safeguard the country’s major resort areas and tourist destinations, those areas have not been immune to the types of violence and crime experienced elsewhere in Mexico. See our Mexico Travel Advisory for more information. 

Travelers should be alert to individuals seeking financial assistance or asking for personal information. See the Department of State and FBI pages for information on financial scams and other common fraud schemes.

Credit/Debit Card “Skimming”: There have been instances of fraudulent charges or withdrawals from accounts due to “skimmed” cards. If you choose to use credit or debit cards, you should regularly check your account to ensure there are no unauthorized transactions. Whenever possible, travelers should watch service workers swipe their credit cards. Travelers should limit the amount of cash they carry in public and exercise caution when withdrawing cash from ATMs, avoiding ATMs located in isolated or unlit areas. 

Victims of Crime: U.S. citizen victims of crime should contact the local authorities to file a Mexican police report before departing Mexico. In most instances, victims of crime will file reports with the Ministerio Público (equivalent to the office of public prosecutor or district attorney in the United States) and not with police first responders. U.S. citizens should also inform the U.S. Embassy or the nearest consulate or consular agency. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

help you find appropriate medical care
assist you in reporting a crime to the police
contact relatives or friends with your written consent
explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
provide a list of local attorneys
provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
replace a stolen or lost passport

Alcohol: If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill. There have been reports of individuals falling ill or blacking out after consuming unregulated alcohol. The Mexican Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risk (COFEPRIS) is responsible for inspecting hotels, restaurants, or other establishments for health violations, including reports of unregulated alcohol. Please email COFEPRIS at contactociudadano@cofepris.gob.mx for more information or if you wish to file a report. Additionally, if you feel you have been the victim of unregulated alcohol or another serious health violation, you should notify the American Citizen Services unit at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City or the nearest U.S. Consulate. You may also contact the U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Demonstrations: Demonstrations are common in all parts of Mexico. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Protesters in Mexico may block traffic on roads, including major thoroughfares, or take control of toll booths on highways. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstration areas and exercise caution if near any protests. Travelers who encounter protesters demanding unofficial tolls are generally allowed to pass upon payment. U.S. citizens should avoid participating in demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by authorities, as Mexican law prohibits political activities by foreign citizens and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation.

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy or consulates for assistance.

Sexual Assault: Rape and sexual assault are serious problems in some resort areas. Many of these incidents occur at night or during the early morning hours, in hotel rooms, on deserted beaches, and may follow the drugging of drinks. Pay attention to your surroundings. If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation and stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.

Drug Smuggling: Mexican criminal organizations are engaged in a violent struggle to control trafficking routes. Criminal organizations have targeted unsuspecting individuals who regularly cross the border as a way to smuggle drugs into the United States. Frequent border crossers are advised to vary their routes and travel times, and to closely monitor their vehicles to avoid being targeted.

For further information:

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
Call us in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Travel Advisories.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
See traveling safely abroad for useful travel tips.

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or nearest U.S. Consulate immediately. The Mexican government is required by international law to contact the U.S. Embassy or consulate promptly when a U.S. citizen is arrested, if the arrestee so requests. This requirement does not apply to dual nationals. See our webpage for further information.

Firearms and Other Weapons: Weapons laws in Mexico vary by state, but it is generally illegal for travelers to carry weapons of any kind including firearms, knives, daggers, brass knuckles, as well as ammunition (even used shells). Illegal firearms trafficking from the United States to Mexico is a major problem, and the Department of State warns all U.S. citizens against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico. If you are caught entering Mexico with firearms or ammunitions, you will be imprisoned. Visit the Department’s Traveling Abroad with Firearms webpage, the Mexican Secretary of Defense page (Spanish only), and the Mexican Customs page (Spanish only) for further information. For additional information about importing hunting weapons or ammunition into Mexico, contact ANGADI (Asociación Nacional de Ganaderos Diversificados Criadores de Fauna, Spanish only) at info@angadi.org.mx. For more information on firearms and ammunition issues in English, contact the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, D.C.

Vessels entering Mexican waters with firearms or ammunition on board must have a permit previously issued by a Mexican embassy or consulate.

Surrogacy: Although surrogacy agencies or clinics claim surrogacy is legal in Mexico and actively promote Mexico as a destination for international commercial surrogacy, there is no legal framework for foreign citizens or same-sex couples to pursue surrogacy in Mexico. As a result, surrogacy agreements between foreign or same-sex intending parents and gestational mothers are not enforced by Mexican courts.

If you decide to pursue parenthood in Mexico via assisted reproductive technology (ART) with a gestational mother, be prepared for long and unexpected delays in documenting your child’s citizenship. Make sure you understand Mexican law, which recognizes the gestational mother as the child’s legal parent with full parental rights and mandates that the gestational mother be listed on the Mexican state-issued birth certificate. Be aware that individuals who attempt to circumvent local law risk criminal prosecution. Mexican authorities have made arrests stemming from surrogacy cases.

Real Estate and Time Shares: U.S. citizens should exercise caution when considering time-share investments or purchasing real estate and be aware of the aggressive tactics used by some sales representatives. Mexican law allows time-share purchasers five days to cancel the contract for unconditional and full reimbursement. U.S. citizens should consult with a Mexican attorney before initiating a real estate purchase or time-share investment to learn about important regulations and law that govern real estate property. For more information, visit Mexico’s Federal Attorney’s Office of Consumer website.

Drugs and Prescription Medications: Carrying any form of marijuana into Mexico, even with a prescription or medical marijuana license, is a Mexican federal offense and considered as international drug trafficking. Offenders can expect large fines and/or jail sentences of up to 25 years.

For a list of controlled substances in Mexico, visit the Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risk website (Spanish only) and the Mexican Drug Schedule (Spanish only). U.S. citizens are advised to carry a copy of their prescription or doctor’s letter, but it is still possible that they may be subject to arrest for arriving in Mexico with substances on these lists. Note that medicines considered “over the counter” in the United States may be a controlled substance in Mexico. For example, pseudoephedrine, the active ingredient in Sudafed, is considered a controlled substance in Mexico. For more information, contact the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C.

Importing Medicines into Mexico: Visit the Mexican Health Department website (Spanish only) or contact the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C., for more information about obtaining a permit to import medicine into Mexico.

Mountain Climbing and Hiking: The Mexican government has declared the area around the Popocatepetl and the Colima volcanoes off limits. In remote rural areas, there can be limited cell phone coverage and internet connectivity.

Storm Season: Tropical storms in the Gulf of Mexico or along the Caribbean and Pacific Coast between May and November can produce heavy winds and rain. Please visit our Hurricane Season webpage for more information.

Potential for Natural Disasters: Mexico is in an active earthquake zone. Tsunamis may occur following significant earthquakes. For information concerning disasters, see:

U.S. Embassy Mexico City website
Civil Protection (Protección Civil) (Spanish only) provides information from the Mexican Government about natural disaster preparedness
U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides general information about natural disaster preparedness
U.S. Geological Survey provides updates on recent seismic and volcanic activity

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Resort Areas and Spring Break: Millions of U.S. citizens visit Mexican beach resorts each year, especially during “spring break” season. The legal drinking age in Mexico is 18. See the “Alcohol” section above to learn more about the risks associated with drinking, as well as reports of illnesses associated with the possible consumption of unregulated alcohol.

Warning flags on beaches should be taken seriously. If black or red warning flags are up, do not enter the water. Strong currents can lead to dangerous conditions for even the most experienced swimmers. U.S. citizens have drowned or disappeared at Mexican beaches and are advised not to swim alone. Rogue waves have injured and even claimed the lives of unsuspecting tourists walking along the shore.

Boats used for excursions sometimes lack adequate life jackets, radios, and tools to make repairs, and may not be covered by accident insurance.

LGBTI Travelers: U.S. citizens should exercise discretion in identifying themselves publicly as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Intersex (LGBTI). See our LGBTI Travel Information page and Section 6 of the Department of State’s Human Rights Report for Mexico for further details.

Persons with Mobility Issues: U.S. citizens with disabilities should consult individual hotels and facilities in advance of travel to ensure they are accessible. Mexican law prohibits discrimination against persons with physical, sensory, intellectual, and mental disabilities in employment and education, as well as access to health care, transportation, and other services. Please visit our Traveling with Disabilities webpage for more information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report and Faith-Based Travel Information.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Excellent health facilities are available in Mexico City and other major cities, but training and availability of emergency responders may be below U.S. standards. Mexican facilities often require payment “up front” prior to performing a procedure, and most hospitals in Mexico do not accept U.S. health insurance. A list of doctors and hospitals is available on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.

U.S. citizens have lodged numerous complaints against some private hospitals in Cancun, the Riviera Maya, and Cabo San Lucas to include exorbitant prices and inflexible collection measures. Travelers should obtain complete information on billing, pricing, and proposed medical procedures before agreeing to any medical care in these locations. Be aware that some resorts have exclusive agreements with medical providers, which may limit your choices in seeking emergency medical attention.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See the Your Health Abroad page for more information on overseas medical care.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance (our webpage) to cover medical evacuation.

Water Quality: In many areas in Mexico, tap water is not potable. Bottled water and beverages are safe, although you should be aware that many restaurants and hotels serve tap water unless bottled water is specifically requested. Be aware that ice for drinks may be made using tap water.

Altitude: Many cities in Mexico, such as Mexico City, are at high altitude, which can lead to altitude illness. Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information about Altitude Illness.

The following diseases are prevalent:

Hepatitis and Typhoid Fever
Travelers’ Diarrhea
Dengue, Chikungunya, Zika, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Parasitic Infections
Chronic Respiratory Disease

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For further health information, go to:

World Health Organization
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Travel and Transportation

U.S. driver’s licenses are valid in Mexico. Mexican law requires that only owners drive their vehicles, or that the owner be inside the vehicle. Mexican insurance is required for all vehicles, including rental vehicles. Mexican liability insurance is recommended in the event of a vehicle accident. Driving under the influence of alcohol, using a mobile device while driving, and driving through a yellow light are all illegal in Mexico.

If you drive your vehicle into Mexico beyond the immediate border area (approximately 20 km into Mexico) you must apply for a temporary vehicle import permit with Mexican Customs, BANJERCITO, or at some Mexican Consulates in the United States. The permit requires the presentation of a valid passport and a monetary deposit that will be returned to you upon leaving Mexico before the expiration of the permit. Failing to apply for a temporary vehicle import permit may lead to impoundment. For more information, see the Mexican Customs website (click here for English version).

Vehicles crossing into Mexico must have a valid license plate and registration sticker. Mexican authorities may refuse to admit vehicles with temporary or paper license plates. Vehicles with expired registration or unauthorized plates may be confiscated.

Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of U.S. citizen deaths in Mexico. If you have an emergency while driving, dial “911.” If you are driving on a toll highway (“cuota”) or any other major highway, you may contact the Green Angels (Angeles Verdes website – Spanish only), a fleet of trucks with bilingual crews, by dialing 078 from any phone in Mexico.

Road Conditions and Safety: Avoid driving on Mexican highways at night. Travel with a charged and functional cell phone capable of making calls in Mexico. Travelers should exercise caution at all times and should use toll (“cuota”) roads rather than the less secure “free” (“libre”) roads whenever possible. Do not hitchhike or accept rides from or offer rides to strangers anywhere in Mexico. Travelers encountering police or security checkpoints should comply with instructions.

Road conditions and maintenance across Mexico vary with many road surfaces needing repair. Travel in rural areas poses additional risks to include spotty cell phone coverage and delays in receiving roadside or medical assistance.

Vehicular traffic in Mexico City is subject to restriction Monday through Saturday, according to the license plate number, in order to reduce air pollution. For additional information, refer to the Hoy No Circula website (Spanish only) maintained by the Mexico City government.

See our Road Safety Page for more information. Also, visit Mexico’s national tourist office website, MexOnline, and Mexico’s Customs website Importación Temporal de Vehículos for more information regarding travel and transportation. 

Public Transportation/Taxis: Security on public buses varies throughout the country but is considered a relatively safe transportation option in Mexico City and other major tourist centers. Passengers should protect their personal possessions at all times as theft is common. Intercity bus travel should be conducted during daylight hours in preferably first-class buses using toll roads.

Robberies and assaults on passengers in taxis not affiliated with a taxi stand (“libre” taxis) are common. Avoid taking any taxi not summoned by telephone or contacted in advance, including “libre” taxis. When in need of a taxi, telephone a radio taxi or “sitio” (regulated taxi stand), and ask the dispatcher for the driver’s name and the taxi’s license plate number. Application-based car services such as Uber and Cabify are available in many Mexican cities, and generally offer another safe alternative to taxis. Official complaints against Uber and other drivers do occur, however, and past disputes between these services and local taxi unions have occasionally turned violent, resulting in injuries to U.S. citizens in some instances.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Mexico’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Mexico’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA safety assessment page.

Maritime Safety Oversight: The Mexican maritime industry, including charter fishing and recreational vessels, is subject solely to Mexican safety regulations. Travelers should be aware that Mexican equipment and vessels may not meet U.S. safety standards or be covered by any accident insurance.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Mexico should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at www.marad.dot.gov/msci. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings website under “broadcast warnings.”

Oklahoma City University Study Abroad Programs